Virginia Prisons Accountability Committee: K9 Dog Units and Fists Are Not An Anomaly Used On Virginia Prisoners By Marcus Barbee

Sunday, March 31, 2019

K9 Dog Units and Fists Are Not An Anomaly Used On Virginia Prisoners By Marcus Barbee


This account by prisoner Marcus Barbee is not anomalous or an anomaly yet is moderately the standard in light of the fact of what is happening to prisoners imprisoned in the Virginia Department of Corrections [VADOC]. We have to consider these prison employees responsible.

On Jan 16, 2019;  Mr. Barbee stated after because of an incident in the pod and a prison guard using unprofessional racist language towards him. The K9 unit officer XXX showed up with K9 c/o XXX (who) began punching me in the kidneys, c/o XXX (the c/o guard who used the unprofessionalism) began punching me in my right eye. XXX then began to choke me I began to black out (didn't know how long I was out). I then came to with the K9 engaged on my right leg for a good 3 to 4 minutes officers then placed me in handcuffs after dog finished biting me...I was then roughly snatched to my feet and taken to medical when I got into triage room a counselor with another officer I do not know with a video camera recording what counselor was saying suddenly he turned the camera off (unknown officer). And the counselor struck me in my left eye 2 times and threatened to kill me then Major XXX came in the room put his arm on my left shoulder while an unknown Sgt. punched me in my stomach (unlegible) the blue I almost threw up and hit the floor but Major Anderson was laughing while saying that's enough, that's enough I was then told I was going to be killed and was I ready to die. I was taken to a room and strapped down to a bed naked. All the nurse did was wrap my leg then I was strapped to the bed for 1 hour and 15 min. Red Onion Sherriffs was there to pick me up once I got to ROSP I was not fed for 3 or 4 days I was brought to C-5-03. 2-5-19 and was not seen by a nurse for 4 days that's when I asked the lord when I got the phone to lead my fingers to dial someone that will help me I dialed random numbers after third-time whomever number I dialed picked up I told them my situation they put me in contact with you and two other advocates in helping inmates have a voice in what goes on in prisons not only here but in surrounding prisons. To me that makes me feel as though I'm loved not only by God but by perfect strangers...

He ends his letter by thanking our fellow "vapac" committee member (Whom we thank so much for all she does, she is a blessing to many people that include many prisoners, "we love you, Erika") May God Bless everything you touch and do and aid you in all your work you do for prisoners & to succeed in all your goals in life.

Mr. Barbee has reached out asking for assistance in getting the "adequate" medical attention he is so bad in need of from his dog bites as of 3/20/19 they were not in the stage of healing properly. Also, the correctional staff is not providing official "paperwork/forms" Mr. Barbee is in need of to fill out as to follow policy and procedure pertaining to this matter. An excerpt from his letter reads: "officers here at Red Onion State Prison [ROSP] don't give paperwork that I need to go through the proper steps."

This incident began at Virginia's Wallens Ridge State Prison [WRSP] Then Mr. Barbee was transferred to ROSP.. We are asking citizens, advocacy groups, and for all those who care please contact Governor Ralph Northam, VADOC Harold Clarke, Secretary of Health, and the Warden of Red Onion State Prison Jeffery Kiser. Mr. Barbee is in need of urgent medical care as his "Dog Bite" wounds are still oozing.





By Marcus Barbee in collaboration with Erika Z.
vapac

Marcus Barbee is imprisoned in Virginia's prison system, serving his sentence at this time in
Red Onion State Prison. Write to him and show him support. 
Marcus J Barbee #1504373
Red Onion State Prison
P.O. Box 1900
Pound, Virginia, 24279



No comments :