Virginia Prisons Accountability Committee: SOCIETY IS STRUCTURED ON IDEAS PART VIII By William Thorpe

Friday, September 4, 2026

SOCIETY IS STRUCTURED ON IDEAS PART VIII By William Thorpe

Pictures are taken from the internet and are used for illustrative purposes only
I've been using this SOCIETY IS STRUCTURED ON IDEAS series to keep underscoring and emphasizing this one and simple point, which is: If we don't speak up for ourselves someone else will and it won't be in our interest. As such I've been listing for the FAMILY, ALLY and FRIEND of the Virginia Prisoner and in extension the National Prisoner, works by those dealing in the Idea Industry, who influence our Political leaders and Policy makers in ways the voter, who voted the Legislator into Power do not. So recently I was listening to the ravings by one of the White-Evangelical mouth pieces on one of the Republican propaganda Fronts, The American Family Radio and besides being a shill for neo-feudalism, White-Evangelical commentary on criminal justice issues have been an extraordinary reactionary impediment, exploiting the Politicians shameless quest for votes. So I subjected myself to the experience of what new depths can White-Evangelical hypocrisy reach and the menu offered up, RESTORATIVE JUSTICE. Initially I wondered why White-Evangelicals would be up in arms over Restorative Justice, which has a right to its day in the Sun as all other Justice formulations, if that's what the People as Community appreciates as satisfying Society's needs. Anyway as I always approach the grasp of a point of view, I do it on the terms of the objection. So I seeked the basis for the White-Evangelical critique of Restorative Justice not on what Restorative Justice actually is but on what if anything in Christianity supports the claim that advocating and endorsing Restorative Justice is violative of and at odds with a Christian's, sincere and deeply held belief and what I encountered was that same ole same critique of fundamental human nature, which as I stated earlier, yup, hypocrisy. Because the mouth piece on the radio hadn't been but a couple of minutes into his apoplexy, when he uttered, Liberal and Blue States are soft on crime, with this Restorative Justice stuff, when the Bible teaches we should,(at this point, I'd rather paraphrase) obey the law of the land. Man talk about hadn't it been for the fact that I'm not surprised with the twisted logic of the mind stuck in the hapless morass of supremacy, which is the White-Evangelical's pathetic refuge, I'd have actually wondered. Because imagine the logic of critiquing a law (which aspects of Restorative Justice is law in some Communities across the Nation) on the grounds the Bible exhorts adherents to obey the law of the land, (but when that law is Restorative Justice damn it to hell because it's a purported Liberal Formulation, that to let White-Evangelical Christianity tell it is "soft on crime"?) and all of this is being stated with a straight face and its such logic that Politicians, especially Democrats are "terrified" of being its object? When not only is it, even on mere secular terms laughable and enfeebled but it cannot even find defense for its spectacle on its own Biblical terms. Anyway, the point I want to make with this ridiculous spectacle criticism of Restorative Justice from a White-Evangelical radio mouth piece, is simply this. The roadblocks that have perennially stood in the way of reform have as motive, which this criticism of Restorative Justice, shows is that fear the Supremacist have of losing privilege. Because when we listen closely to what the opponents of reform and in particular, as it concerns us, the Virginia imprisonment scheme are saying, it isn't that they don't understand reform, because they themselves are facts and results of reform, but they recognize that reform implies accountability for status that once upon a time was taken for granted and they more than anyone else understand the true function of the imprisonment scheme, as such are anti its reform.

By William Thorpe

William Thorpe Virginia exiled me to the Texas prison system. I'm solitary confined at the Wainwright Unit and if you feel any kinda way about this work contact me by Securus email using the Texas prison number #2261982 .

No comments :